Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Vegas, Napa, Beyond...

What a month. Weddings are exhausting when you're helping plan them. There is some fun involved, but for the most part it's expensive, stressful and emotionally draining. I don't know if I have the energy to detail the past two weeks in full. Perhaps I can mention the cliffnotes.

Vegas - what a scandal! Walking the strip with a group of drunk girls labeled with Bachelorette Party shirts was an interesting phenomenon. Going to a strip club with my Mom, cousin and sister was by far one of the most amazing experiences thus far - what a total riot. I always knew my Mom was cool - but now I'm pretty sure she's a complete rockstar.

Wedding - what do I say? The event itself was beautiful. My sister looked fantastic. I looked like a purple cupcake. This is my job as maid of honor. I was also responsible for keeping my sister calm the day before and the day of - not an easy task. The day before was ok - I just had to step up and keep the wedding party and rest of the family organized for the rehearsal. Then on to the day of - I don't know how many phone calls I got from people asking about random details. And then the whole my sister is crying and swearing and shaking and I have to apply her makeup and we've got about a half hour before the ceremony starts. And then she was fine - she got ready to walk down the aisle and settled into this nice calm. But the whole couple of days caught up with me and I started to lose it. I didn't really think that I was the crying at weddings type of person - but I guess I'm allowed to cry at my sister's, yes? My brother-in-law's family was really funny - they kept saying how I had presented as really strong and tough - but that I was a real softie after all. I told them it was only when I put on a dress.

I think what I'm glad about is the perspective the whole thing gave me. I tend to forget that my sister is a really big part of my life, because she's so far away, and because we're so different. But my family is really important to me - and I love them all to pieces. I need to stop working so much and start seeing more of them, it's so easy to take them all for granted and live my own life. I think for the longest time I was under the impression that it had to be one or the other - my life as my own or my life with my family. But I really need to work towards meshing the two together. I've been on my own for so long that I think I got way too cynical. Hm.

In any case, it's going to be nice to get back to my own life. I miss my friends. I sense drinking in the future...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home